“Reverberations” is the annual intra mural fest organized by the BIOTIKOS, Biotechnology Students’ Association. As the name itself suggests, it is a collection of the voices of our commune – voices that throw idea and echo creativity. Every year Reverberations has proved to be an event that has consistently raised the bar for any other intra mural and this year would be no different. In short, Reverberations is the event that concludes yet another spirited year with panache. It is a third-year(s) venture and it is aimed at being an amalgamation of technical events with fun.
Read on to find out about the events that have been arranged to enthrall you
Date: 31st March, 2013
Venue: JVC Auditorium
The war of the words
Event format :
ROUND 1- A jury (the participants) watches as the drama unfolds between the lawyers of the plaintiff and the defendant. After that, the jury will 'convene' (i.e. have a GD) to arrive on a conclusion for the issue at hand. People who stand out from the crowd will be selected to move on to the next round.
ROUND 2- A PRESS MEET! People selected from the first round will be divided in two. A situation will be given. Half of them will act as press reporters and will fire questions to the other half (who represent a panel from some organization) Then the roles will reverse. The panel will become the press reporters for the next segment.
* Max. of 3 juries, with max 20 people in each
* 4 from each jury will be selected for the final round
- New ideas with originality and feasibility are given preference in the selection.
Rules and regulation :
* Poster can be made in canvas or in chart paper.
* Posters should be standard A1 sized.
* Nano biomedicine and human health.
* Human and molecular genetics.
* DNA forensics.
* Agricultural biotechnology
* Biotechnology in combating climate change.
* Eco-informatics, Bioenergy and biofuels.
* Computational system biology
* Comparative genomics
* Biosafety & biohazards.
-Activate your grey cells for Reverberations Quiz is on its way!
It consists of two rounds.
The first round will be a written preliminary round consisting of 25 questions pertaining to science and technology.
Top 6 teams will qualify for the onstage final.
*Teams of 2.
*Participants from all departments are welcome.
IDEA PRESENTATION- BIOMEMITICS
Over the last 3.6 billion years, nature has gone through a process of trial and error to refine the living organisms, processes, and materials on planet Earth. . Humans have been looking at nature for answers to both complex and simple problems throughout our existence. Biomimetics is the examination of nature, its models, systems, processes, and elements to emulate or take inspiration from in order to solve human problems. Nature has solved many of today's engineering problems such as hydrophobicity (Lotus leaves), SONAR (Bats) etc.,
In this event participants must come up with innovative ideas, drawing inspiration from Mother Nature, which can be used to solve real life problems.
* Teams can have maximum 2 participants.
* Participants should submit their ideas in about 200 words.
* Selected participants will be invited to present their ideas.
* The ideas should be showcased with the help of a PowerPoint presentation within 10 minutes.
* Participants will be judged on the basis of originality, relevance and feasibility in implementation.
Ever wondered that a doctor who figures “Leaning towards your left would psychologically make one feel that Eiffel tower is shorter than its original size” would win a prize equivalent to the Nobel??? Ever had any geeky ideas filled with parody??Are you the one who found “Scary movie” to be hilarious; who found “Gregory House’s” sarcastic comments, intriguing?? Then here comes a chance to showcase your insinuating attitude!!!
* Team can have a maximum of 2 participants.
* An innovative idea that involves parody and sarcasm.
* Your idea should have a scientific proof.
* Best abstracts will be selected for the final power-point presentation.
* Participants from all departments are welcome
* No restriction on topics.
*URGENT AND HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL*
You are an espionage agent on a mission to unravel the encrypted codes of XXXX (withheld for your own safety!).
Event format :
ROUND 1- A warm-up round with no eliminations. Participants will be introduced to the famous dancing stick figures from 'The Adventure of the Dancing Men' (Sherlock Holmes). After learning this substitution cipher, they'll learn Vigenère cipher.
ROUND 2- Participants will have to decode the message
sent to them by using the 'Double Transposition' technique.
The catch is that the message and the the key will be
sent to them in Morse code.
A true WWII scenario re-created!
* Team can have maximum 2 participants
* The first 3 teams to crack the code will be the winners.
APARNA - 9962528041
SURESH - 9790306536
HARISH - 9952008331
AISHWARYA - 9176211379