Admission 2019 FAQ
SASTRA DEEMED UNIVERSITY
FAQ for Admissions: 2019-20
1) What full-time programmes does SASTRA offer?
B. Tech., 5- Year integrated M.Tech., M. Tech., MCA, MBA, B.Com. (CA),B.Com. (BFSI), B.A./B.Com./B.B.A., LL.B, (Hons.) , B.Sc./B.A., B.Ed. (4-year integrated) & M.Sc. (5-year integrated) programmes in its Main Campus in Thanjavur and B. Sc., B.Com, BBA, BCA, M.Sc., and B. Tech. (CSE, ECE, EEE,) courses in its Srinivasa Ramanujan Centre (off-campus centre of SASTRA recognized by Govt. of India) in Kumbakonam. SASTRA is not having any other off-campus centre. Please bring to the notice of the admissions office if you find any misuse of SASTRA Deemed University's name in any other location.
2) How are admissions done?
Admission to all programmes is strictly based on merit only.
Engineering Admission Procedure
Admission to B.Tech. / 5-Year Integrated M.Tech. Programme
Admission to the B.Tech. / 5-year Integrated M.Tech. programs will be conducted under two streams. All the applicants will be eligible for both the streams and need not submit two separate application forms. This application will be considered for the both streams.
(1) Stream 1 (based on JEE(Main) 2019 scores and +2 Marks) for 70% of seats
(2) Stream 2 (based on +2 marks) for 30% of seats
Stream 1 Admission: Applicants under stream 1 will be admitted to 70% of the seats based on JEE (Main) 2019 percentile score and normalized +2 marks. The weightage for JEE Main scores and +2 marks will be 25% & 75% respectively. The JEE Main %ile score and normalized +2 aggregate will be taken together as per the weightage and applicants will be ranked based on the resultant combined score.
For example: If a student secures a JEE Main %ile Score of 90 and normalized +2 aggregate is 95%, the combined score of the student will be (0.25*90) + (0.75*95) = 93.75 (22.5+71.25)
The combined score of all students will be used to determine the SASTRA Rank and admission will be based on the SASTRA Rank secured.
Stream 2 Admission: Applicants under Stream 2 will be admitted based on their normalized aggregate +2 or its equivalent marks. This is for 30% of the total seats. To bring all candidates from different examining authorities/ boards in to the same scale of comparison and to create a list in the order of merit, the +2 or its equivalent aggregate marks will be normalized. A first rank student of each board is considered to have obtained 100% mark and aggregate mark of all other students of the board is normalized with reference to that of the first rank student. For example, if the first rank is 97% and an applicant’s aggregate is 90% then the applicant’s normalized percentage is 92.78 (90/97x100). A merit list is drawn based on the normalized percentage for making admissions for the 30% of the total seats.
Note: 1) Applicants are allowed to attend counselling for stream 2 even if they are admitted under Stream 1 and can change branch, if they wish to.
For all PG programmes the admissions will be made on the basis of the scores in the qualifying UG / PG degree programme. GATE qualified candidates will be given preference for Engineering programmes and for MBA, students with good CAT/XAT/AIMAT/CMAT/AIMCAT scores will be given preference.
For all degree programmes in Law, admissions will be based on the CLAT-2019 Scores and +2 aggregate taken in the ratio of 25% : 75% respectively.
For all other degree programmes in Sciences, Arts, Commerce, Education, etc. admissions will be based on the qualifying exam marks.
PLEASE LOOK OUT FOR ADVERTISEMENTS IN LEADING DAILIES FROM THE LAST WEEK OF MARCH, 2019
3) Should I submit separate application for Stream 1 & Stream 2?
Please note that the last date for receiving application for both Streams will be during the first week of June'2019. Applicants are advised to submit application with results of +2 and JEE (Main) 2019 along with relevant photocopies. JEE (Main) 2019 details is mandatory (if appeared) for those who are applying under Stream 1. The applicant is advised to enter both +2 & JEE (Main) 2019 details in his/her own interest as they can attend both counselling using the same application form. If an applicant has not appeared for JEE (Main) 2019, for Stream 1, the weighted score for the 25% will be 0 but the +2 aggregate will be given 75% weightage to arrive at the combined score. However, for the Stream 2, the weightage for +2 marks will be 100%. This way, an applicant will be considered in Stream 1 & Stream 2 by default.
4) Is the tuition fees for B.Tech.programme same for both streams of admission and how is 5-Year Integrated different form 4-year B.Tech.?
The tuition fees for students admitted under both the streams are the same. Classes for both will begin during the 1/II week of July'2019.
5-Year Integrated programme is part of an innovative attempt to provide advanced courses for students and offer two degrees – B.Tech. & M.Tech. in 5 years. This not only reduces one-year but also provides adequate opportunities for Ph.D. enrolment. The 5-Year Integrated programme is offered in a specialization area along with a major UG engineering discipline. The student studies along with the regular 4-year course students upto 7th semester and proceeds to complete PG courses in 8th& 9th semester and project work in the 10th semester. At the end of 5 years, he / she graduates with a B.Tech. & M.Tech. degree. For example, 5-Year Integrated M.Tech. in Medical Nanotechnology means, a student studies B.Tech. Bioengineering till 7th semester and completed Medical Nanotechnology courses in 8th& 9th semesters and completes project in 10thsemester. After successful completion, a B.Tech. in Bioengineering and M.Tech. in Medical Nanotechnology is awarded. There is no exit option at the end of the 4th year.
5) What is the eligibility for B.Tech.programmes?
- A pass in the +2 (or) its equivalent examination with Mathematics & Physics as compulsory subjects with either Chemistry / Bio-Technology / Computer Science / Biology and recognized by any State Board / Central Board or any other accepted by SASTRA as equivalent to 10+2 (or) its equivalent examination, with a minimum aggregate of 60% marks in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry / Bio-Technology / Computer Science / Biology obtained in a single sitting
- Students with diploma in Engineering / Technology are eligible for direct admission to the second year of the relevant B.Tech. Programme.
- The candidate should not have completed 19 years as on 1.7.2019. (21 years for Lateral Entry)
6) When will the rank list for admission to B.Tech. / 5-Year Integrated M.Tech. be released?
Application forms will be available from April 12, 2019 and the last date for submission of completed application forms with JEE Scores and +2 Marks will be during the 1st week of June'2019.. The results will be announced at 9 pm on the same date and will be available at www.sastra.edu. Based on the results, students will be called for counseling and will be individually intimated on the date and time of counselling. Please note that you need not wait for JEE (Advanced) Scores, even if you are eligible to appear for Advanced. JEE(Main) Scores are enough and JEE (Main) 2019 results are expected to be released during the first week of May'2019. Same will be followed for Law admissions based on CLAT-2019.
7) When will counselling begin?
Stream 1 counselling will be held during the 2nd/3rd week of June'2019 and seats will be allotted based on the ranks secured by the applicant calculated based on JEE (Main) Scores and normalized +2 marks and the entire admission process will be displayed in a giant screen in the SASTRA campus to ensure transparency.
Stream 2 counselling based on +2 Marks
Counselling for students under the Stream 2 category will be conducted along with Stream 1 during 2nd/3rd week of June'2019. Subsequent round of counseling is subject to vacancy position and dates will be updated in the website.
8) Is there any other method for admission to B.Tech.programmes?
Admissions will be done by the Office of Admissions of SASTRA, either by following normalization for 30% of the seats or by JEE(MAIN) + normalized +2 for the remaining 70%. Do not fall prey to any unauthorized persons / agencies who claim proximity to SASTRA admissions office. Admissions are based only on merit and only tuition fees will have to be paid. No donations or capitation fee. Kindly bring it to the notice of the Office of Admissions if any unauthorized persons / agency approach you promising admissions. As per the Government norms, provision is made for NRI admissions. Interested students may kindly contact the Office of admissions at 91 4362 264101-108, 304000-010 Extn: 102, 384 or Direct No. 91 4362 304102.
9) Can a seat be reserved before for admission under the merit category?
NO. Admission will be based only on merit after the rank list is released. Only NRI sponsored students' can approach the Office of Admissions for more admission information.
PG / LAW Admission Procedure
10) How are admissions to M.Tech. / M.B.A. / M.C.A. / Law and other programmes being conducted?
Admissions to all the above programmes will be based on the qualifying degree / board marks and applicable competitive exam scores CLAT-2019 scores in the case of Law, CAT/XAT/AIMAT/CMAT/ AIMCAT in the case of MBA and GATE in the case of M.Tech. Call letter to attend counseling for admission will be sent to the applicant individually by e-mail/letter. No changes in assigned counselling date is possible.
How are admissions to B.Optom and M.Optom programmes?
- Admission to the B.Optom. programme will be based on NEET 2019 scores and normalized +2 marks. The weightage for NEET scores and +2 marks will be 25% & 75% respectively. The aggregate NEET score and normalized +2 aggregate will be taken together as per the weightage and applicants will be ranked based on the resultant combined score.
- For example: If a student secures a NEET 2019 Score of 185 and a normalized +2 aggregate of 95 percentile, the combined score of the student will be (0.25*185) + (0.75*95) = 117.5
- The combined score of a student will be used to determine the SASTRA Rank and admission will be based on the SASTRA Rank secured.
- To bring all candidates from different examining authorities/boards in the same scale of comparison and to create a list in the order of merit, the +2 or its equivalent aggregate marks will be normalized. A first rank student of each board is considered to have obtained 100% mark and aggregate mark of all other students of the board is normalized with reference to that of the first rank student. For example, if the first rank is 97% and an applicant’s aggregate is 90% then the applicant’s normalized percentage is 92.78 (90 / 97 x 100). If a student did not appear for NEET 2019, he/she will be eligible with 75% weightage on +2 aggregate alone.
- Applicants will be called for counselling based on the combined score.
M. Optom: Candidate with 60 % and more in B. Optom or its equivalent optometry program can apply. The candidates will be called for the Entrance examination at Elite School of Optometry, Chennai on a specified date and based on the performance in the entrance examination the shortlisted candidates will be called for the interview on the same day. The final list of candidates will be released on the next day on the SASTRA website.
11) Is hostel facility available?
There are 9 hostels for boys and 5 for girls. First year B. Tech. students will be provided shared accommodation at an annual rent of Rs.10,000 only. The charges for food will be at actual based on dividing system and will approximately be around Rs.3,000 per month.
You can assume that you will stay for 10 months in a calendar year. Single room, Two-in-one, Three-in-one and Four-in-one (with or w/o bath attached facilities) will be available from II year onwards. The annual rent will be different.
12) Where can I collect the application forms?
Application forms will be available online from April 12, 2019 at www.sastra.edu
It can also be collected in person from the Office of Admissions at SASTRA Deemed University campus in Thanjavur or Kumbakonam. Applications fee is Rs.600/-
Application forms can also be downloaded at www.sastra.edu. Applications can also be sent by post on receipt of DD for Rs.650/- favouring SASTRA payable at Thanjavur. DD must be sent to Office of Admissions, SASTRA Deemed University, Thanjavur – 613 401, Tamil Nadu.
Online submission of application is also possible at www.sastra.edu.
14) Contact Details:
Office of Admissions
SASTRA Deemed University
Thanjavur – 613 401
Phone: 91 4362 264101-108, 304000-010
15) Any other information – Please contact the Office of Admissions for any additional information that you may require. Kindly ensure you talk to the right person and do not be guided by outsider or any unauthorized person. Ask for the following persons:
· Mr.C.Swaminathan (Deputy Registrar)
· Mr.G.Ganapathisubramanian (Deputy Registrar)
· Mr.S.Radhakrishnan (Office of the VC)
· Mr.A.Sahayaraj (Asst. Registrar for PG & Law admissions)
· Mr.S.Rajagopalan, Admin Officer, SRC, Kumbakonam at 0435 2426823 for SRC admissions
We wish you good luck and welcome to a world of opportunities at SASTRA!